Thursday, August 4, 2011

Grilled Fish Tacos


It was only about a year ago that I tried my first fish taco. I'd been wanting to try one for some time, but had somehow never gotten around to it.

Well, finally one day last year my husband ordered fish tacos at a Mexican restaurant, and he let me take a bite. I loved it! The fish was great, but the sauce really made the taco delicious.

Believe it or not, our waitress was even nice enough to tell us the ingredients in the sauce. Of course, she didn't give specifics as to the amounts of each, but that didn't turn me off.  I went home and figured it out myself.

I have since made some changes to both the sauce and the fish, because the original version of the recipe called for fried fish and a mostly mayonnaise sauce.

We've learned that grilled fish makes for a yummy taco too!

Grilled Fish Tacos

Ingredients:

~Fish~
  • 1 1/2 lbs tilapia
  • 3 tbsp lime juice
  • 1/2 tbsp cumin
  • 1/2 tbsp paprika
  • 1/2 tbsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
~Sauce~
  • 2 tbsp plain yogurt
  • 2 tbsp mayo
  • 4 tsp jalapeno juice (I used the juice from a jar of jalapenos.)
  • 1 1/2 tsp mustard
  • 1 tsp honey
Directions:
  1. Place fish in a gallon sized storage bag. 
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together fish marinade ingredients.
  3. Add marinade ingredients to storage bag and gently move fish around inside the bag to coat well.
  4. Let fish marinate for 30 to 45 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl. (Note: If you like a lot of sauce, you may want to double the sauce recipe.)
  6. Once the fish is marinated, grill it (I used my indoor grill), or bake it in the oven, until flaky. 
  7. Spoon fish onto whole wheat flour tortillas and top with sauce, cheese, lettuce, tomato or other favorite toppings.
I'm sure you could use any firm white fish you like for these tacos. We just love tilapia, and my grocery store has it on sale often.

I hope to be able to share my whole wheat flour tortilla recipe with you soon. I've been working to get it just right, and I think I've got it.

So, have you ever had a fish taco?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...