Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Easy Applesauce


It happens all the time around here. I buy a big bag of apples, we eat a few, and then the rest sit there on the counter until they start to get ripe enough that nobody wants to eat them.

This was the story last week. Fortunately, I had a few options.  I could make apple muffins, sauteed apples or applesauce....all of which are perfect solutions for using apples that are not quite ready to throw out, but are a little too ripe to just sit down and eat.

Since I had applesauce on my "I'm-running-low-on-this" list, I decided that's what I would do with those apples.

The recipe I had previously used called for white granulated sugar, but since I'm using less refined sugars, I decided to give honey a shot.  

The applesauce turned out beautifully and delicious.

Easy Applesauce

Ingredients:
  • 12 medium sized apples
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Peel, core and chop the apples.
  2. Place the apples, water, honey and cinnamon in a large pot and cook over medium heat until the apples are tender, about 15 - 20 minutes.
  3. Mash the apples with a potato masher or use a blender to puree them. (I like the smooth texture you get from using a blender.)
Note: Because of the amount of apples, I was only able to put about half in the blender at one time. After I had all the apples pureed, I poured the puree back into the pot and mixed it back in with the liquid. That's where all the cinnamon and honey is sitting.

Using this many apples yields approximately six cups of applesauce. Since I know we won't eat that much before it ruins, I like to store the extra in the freezer in these awesome plastic freezer jars.


Other than just eating the applesauce, one of my favorite foods to make with it is this Applesauce Bread. Yummy! It makes for a great breakfast treat!

Applesauce can also be used as a great substitute for oil in a lot of baking recipes. It's a much healthier option.

How do you like your applesauce? Do you make your own or buy it in a jar?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...